Transcript for Jay Leno back on stage
- Just two weeks after he was seriously burned in a gas fire, Jay Leno is stepping back into the spotlight.
JAY LENO: No, we've got two shows tonight, regular and extra crispy. OK, Thank you.
- The legendary comic returning to the Comedy and Magic Club in Hermosa Beach, California, joking about the accident on his way into the sold-out show.
JAY LENO: I never thought of myself as a roast comic. Hey, thank you. Thank you. Good night.
- The 72-year-old, back in action just days after this photo was released. The former "Tonight Show" host, standing with medical staff at the Grossman Burn Center where he was treated with hyperbaric oxygen therapy and received skin grafts. The remnants of those second and third-degree burns visible on his face, chest, and hands. The doctors say Leno remained in high spirits during his 10-day stay.
PETER GROSSMAN: There are children in the unit. He's delivered them cookies and-- and good wishes.
- Leno, a longtime car enthusiast--
JAY LENO: They fit in any car we have.
- --was working on one of his vintage cars when a gas explosion happened earlier this month. A mechanic at Leno's garage telling "ET" about the accident.
GEORGE: He called me and told there was a fire and it was a steam car. This steam is made by gas. And it got sprayed.
- While the comic's injuries were severe, Leno's doctor says he's pleased with this progress.
- I don't want to underestimate the seriousness of his injuries. But I think that that positive outcome, or that positive outlook is something that's going to do well for him.
- Meanwhile, back in Hermosa Beach, Leno, bringing the heat on stage.
JAY LENO: They're a great crowd.
- A warm welcome for the comedian and his big return to the spotlight.
- A standing ovation when he walked out, a standing ovation when he left-- and it was just a great show.
- He's amazing. He look great, too. He looked like he wasn't even an accident.
- Jay, it was nothing like-- it didn't faze him at all. So yeah, that was great.
- Those guests lucky enough to catch Jay's first show back were also lucky enough to watch Jay's buddy Arsenio Hall open for him, which was a surprise. No one knew that he was going to be there. But this is a place where Jay has performed every Sunday night for several years. And the people who have seen him there for several years say it was just like the old Jay back on stage.
- It goes to show how much a positive attitude can help in one's healing.
- It's kind of cheesy, but it's also true, right? Comedy, laughter is the best medicine.
- I mean, those were some serious burns. If you saw those pictures, I mean, he could have lost his life.
- 10 days--
- And come back two weeks--
- --in a burn center.
- --two weeks later and say, I'm gonna have a good laugh about it and make jokes about it and show up driving is just a testament to who Jay Leno is and who he'll always be, no matter what the circumstance.
- We are so glad to see friend of the show, Jay Leno, back in--
- Nice smile there.
This transcript has been automatically generated and may not be 100% accurate.