Transcript for ‘Groundhog Day’ turns 30!
WILL GANSS: Every single day since 1993--
- Don't mess with me, Pork Chop. What day is this?
- It's February 2, Groundhog Day.
WILL GANSS: The Bill Murray comedy classic celebrating 30 years.
- Excuse me, where's everybody going?
- To Gobbler's Knob. It's Groundhog Day.
WILL GANSS: And while all that repeated attention didn't necessarily put Gobbler's Knob on the map, they've been celebrating Groundhog Day there since 1887. The movie did boost tourism. Gobbler's Knob going from 5,000 to 35,000 visitors each February 2. That number, according to Punxsutawney Phil's Inner Circle, which is a real thing made up of guys in top hats like Butch Philliber and Jeff Lundy, who told us about the lost language of Groundhoguese.
- It's like an ear thing and nose. I mean, it's very complicated. All I need to know is shadow, no shadow.
- How long did it take you to learn Groundhoguese?
- Well, [CHUCKLES] I don't know, I mean, I'm still learning.
WILL GANSS: In the movie, Phil Connors never spoke Groundhoguese but Bill Murray did tell Dave Letterman about working with Chris Elliott.
- Was that fun?
- Yes, it was.
I mean, let me say this. It's not fun to work with Chris Elliott.
- It's a challenge.
- Hey, man, you touch me.
- Thanks, Larry.
- Thank you.
WILL GANSS: Most of the movie's filming was done in Woodstock, Illinois, which now hosts Groundhog Day celebrations of its own. But no matter where you celebrate with Phil and Punxsutawney, with Willie and Woodstock, or even with General Beauregard Lee in Georgia, make sure you give Groundhog Day a 30th anniversary watch today.
- No matter what happens tomorrow or for the rest of my life, I'm happy now.
- Groundhog Day is considered one of the best comedies of all time by many. Sitting at 94% on Rotten Tomatoes. Critics praising Bill Murray's ability to play the protagonist and antagonist all at the same time. And Bill has said, it's probably the best work he's ever done.
- I would agree. This is why you need to see this movie. You need to just go for it.
- Ah, go for it.
- I'm actually just surprised by the quality of that video, 30 years later. It still looks pretty good.
- Still holds up.
This transcript has been automatically generated and may not be 100% accurate.