Transcript for Pediatrician charged in alleged murder-for-hire plot
- Neighbors I spoke to are shocked by the news of Dr. Stephanie Russell's arrest, and I actually ran into one parent who was here today trying to pick up his children's medical records.
- She's been their primary caregiver for six years. So it's just freaky.
- It's shocking, to say the least, and it's very sad.
RACHEL DROZE: The FBI arrested Dr. Stephanie Russell last night and charged her with trying to hire someone to murder her ex-husband. Instead of hiring a hitman, Russell actually hired an undercover FBI employee. Court filings say Russell agreed to pay $7,000 for the hit.
She allegedly put $3,500 in a drop box outside her medical office on Wednesday and was planning to pay the second half of the money after the job was done. According to court filings, the Louisville pediatrician works in the Norton Commons neighborhood at Kidz Life Pediatrics.
- I know several parents in this area that bring their children here, and like I said, I've only heard positive, wonderful things about them.
RACHEL DROZE: When I went by there, a handwritten closed sign was posted on the door, and when I tried to call, there was no answer.
- With Dr. Russell, everything was fine. She was pleasant. She was sweet. The girls liked her.
RACHEL DROZE: Lance Dooley, the dad trying to pick up his kid's medical records, wasn't able to get in touch with anyone but says he's already found another pediatrician.
- We're right around the corner, and money drop offs were happening right around the corner. Like, that freaks us out, and, you know, it's just kind of a-- it's kind of one of those things you don't expect.
RACHEL DROZE: If convicted, Russell could face up to 10 years in federal prison. She was arraigned in federal court today and is scheduled for another appearance on Tuesday. In Prospect, Rachel Droze, WHAS11 on your side.
This transcript has been automatically generated and may not be 100% accurate.