Transcript for Joran van der Sloot to be extradited to US
- Jordan van der Sloot, the prime suspect in the disappearance of Natalee Holloway, is about to be extradited to the US on extortion and fraud charges. Elwyn Lopez is in Birmingham, Alabama with the story. Good morning, Elwyn.
- Hey, George, good morning. Here in Alabama, a federal grand jury indicted Jordan van der Sloot for allegedly trying to extort Holloway's mother. That was more than a decade ago, and today, he is one step closer to facing trial here on American soil.
This morning, the prime suspect in Natalee Holloway's 2005 disappearance, Jordan van der Sloot, preparing to be extradited to Alabama. Peruvian authorities telling ABC News the 35-year-old is expected to leave Peru on Thursday. Van der Sloot seen in this new video, making his way to a prison in Peru's capital, his last trek inside the country before heading to the US to face charges related to the teen's death.
BRAF GARRETT: They'll shackle him up, bring him back to this plane, and then fly him, land presumably in Alabama. The marshals will take custody of him, and they'll house him either in a federal prison or a local jail. Van der Sloot had been serving a 28-year sentence at a remote Peruvian prison for the murder of another woman. Authorities say he was the last person to see 18-year-old Natalee Holloway alive, before she vanished nearly two decades ago on the last night of her graduation trip.
- Yeah. The last time I saw her, she was sitting on the sand by the ocean.
- His extradition comes 13 years after an Alabama federal grand jury indicted him for allegedly trying to extort Holloway's mother for $250,000, the alleged demand in exchange for information on where her body was buried. But in 2006, van der Sloot denied killing the Alabama teen.
- The first thing that popped into my head was, [BLEEP], what if something happened to her.
In 2019, Holloway's mother Beth speaking with ABC News about the last time she saw her daughter alive.
- I helped her get her bag out of the car, and just kissed her goodbye. Never could I have imagined.
- And guys, even though Holloway's body was never found, a judge declared her dead in 2012. Van der Sloot was not charged in her disappearance, guys.
- Elwyn, thank you.
This transcript has been automatically generated and may not be 100% accurate.