Transcript for Must know tips on making decision for a better life
- All right, now we are turning to a question for Year of You in '22. Do you make good choices? Your ability to make the right decision without doubt and second guessing yourself might hold the key to a more fulfilling life. Fortunately, a plan to help you with all of that is in our next guest's book, One Decision, First Step to a Better Life. And here to tell us more is New York Times best-selling author and life coach Mike Beyer.
Mike, thank you so much for being here this morning. I deal with this. Why is decision making so daunting for so many people, and how does it affect the other areas of our lives?
- Well, hello, Janai. Nice to connect with you. And you know, decisions are one of those things that we struggle thinking we're going to make the wrong decision. And we make over 20,000 decisions a day, and so our past history dictates what we do today. And unfortunately, a lot of us believe that we just aren't capable of making great decisions.
- So what tips would you provide to help someone who has decision indecision?
- Yeah, decision indecision is very common. We know people like this. They'll ask your opinion about something. You'll give it to them, and then they'll ask 10 other people about it. So the first thing you want to do is ask someone for help that you trust, who is an expert, who is someone you can lean into, that you're thinking, I really trust their judgment, so I'm going to do what they say.
So make sure you ask for help. Don't just Google it. Know the difference between a critical decision and a fear-based decision. A fear-based decision is essentially false evidence appearing real. And we all have it, and we have ghosts of our past that make us make some decisions today or not make decisions.
And lastly, identify the opportunity behind it. Every obstacle, there is an opportunity. We are more capable than we know, and we just have to sometimes get out of our own way and realize we can do it.
- This is so good. So that critical decision versus a fear-based decision, and I've been doing it all wrong by just Googling. So thank you very much for that. So you say in your book, One Decision, is a practical plan to help you improve your life, find your purpose, improve your mental health and relationships, work on your physical health, and even make more money. How so?
- Well, we're always one decision away from that next best thing, you know? We're one decision away from getting sober. We're one decision away from going to the gym. We're one decision away from realizing we're more capable of making money, that people would hire us, that our resume does not dictate everything, that we can change the rules. But we're all just one decision away. And that's why I wrote this book, One Decision, is I work with you as your life coach to help you navigate so you can get out of your own way and start making 2022 the year for yourself.
- I love that. But you know, I've recently heard about decision fatigue. How can that factor into all of this? Because you said we make a ton of decisions every single day.
- And you know, that's a great question, Janai. The problem is, we prioritize certain things that aren't a priority. We give energy to certain things that don't deserve our energy. So it is exhausting when we feel like we're having to force ourselves up a hill. But when we're able to really look at it from some critical thinking, we're able to eliminate those things in our life that are just weighing us down.
- Good to know. Thank you so much, Mike Bayer, for being here with us. And Mike's book, One Decision, The First Step to a Better Life is now available wherever books are sold.
This transcript has been automatically generated and may not be 100% accurate.