Transcript for Behind the scenes with a star of Netflix’s new series 'The Night Agent'
- It wasn't like that.
- I didn't submit to my subordinate's opinion, so you took it to the boss.
- He asked me for my take on your detail.
- So you knew you had his ear, and you took your shot,
- I said it wasn't like that. And by the way, he didn't sideline you because of me. Maddie went missing on your watch.
- Do you think I don't know that?
- Good acting right there.
- Wow. Welcome back. That was a clip from Netflix's highly anticipated series The Night Agent. It's a political thriller based on a fictional novel by the same name.
- Now the show follows the twists and turns of conspiracy. And that leads all the way to the Oval Office. And playing one of the Secret Service agents, tangled in the mystery, is our next guest. Please welcome D.B. Woodside.
When you walked in, I said, D.B., D.B. is in the house. How are you?
- I'm doing pretty good. How are you all doing?
- Good. Good to have you here. So this show, again, we just mentioned it, it has a lot of twists and turns. What can viewers expect?
- A lot of chasing. There's going to be a lot of running, a lot of surprises. It's just a really great story. It's going to confuse you a little bit at times, but in that way that we all like. And I'm just really hoping people check it out because I think it's a show that you don't want to miss.
- It's part of why you're in such good shape is because you had to run a lot for this movie?
- A lot. A lot.
- We mentioned that the series is based on a book, The Night Agent by Matthew Quirk. But your character's one of the characters that wasn't part of the book. Why do you think they needed to add this character to this series?
D.B. WOODSIDE: Well, the creator is Shawn Ryan. And Shawn Ryan's been around for a long time. He's fantastic. And he always wanted to write a series about the Secret Service. So he had this storyline, but he didn't have enough material, he felt, at the time for it to be a full series. So he read this book. And he decided to combine the book and his idea of the Secret Service story. And that's how he came up with the show.
- OK, so D.B, I'm going to admit something that this just reminded me of. I have never said this publicly.
- Get ready. When I was in college, I actually started to fill out an FBI agent application because I wanted to join the FBI.
- That's pretty cool.
- True. True. And then I realized they probably wouldn't accept me. But you mentioned the chase scenes, how did you prepare for it? There's fighting. Obviously, you're in good shape. But the fighting that goes on, did you do anything unique to get ready for that?
- Well, the show shot up in Vancouver. And so that's also where we shot the first two seasons of Lucifer. So I have a great stunt guy up there, Tommy. But when it comes to the fight scenes, yeah, I still like to kind of dive in there myself. I think the only problem now is-- I can still do everything. But it's the recovery period. I need a lot more recovery period now.
- Did you get hurt in any of those rehearsals?
- No. No, definitely not. You don't get hurt. But it's shooting the same flip over and over and over again, around the 10th or 11th time you're starting to feel the pain a little bit. So you just need some time to recover.
- But you had to train for it?
- Yes. I like to say that because I just came off Lucifer I maintained my training. And so fight choreography can be a lot like dance. And as long as you're staying in shape, they can show you those moves as it were, and it comes back to you really fast.
- This is a stacked cast. What was it like working with all these people?
- It was fantastic, except my storyline was separate from a lot of these other actors that I've admired and watched for my career. But I was lucky to get to work with these two really talented young actresses, Fola Akingbola and Sarah Desjardins. I was practicing.
- He's like, let me get it out. Let me get it out. I mean, it's a pleasure watching you on the big screen, but also almost, I don't want to say impossible, but a little weird hearing that you're an introvert because it's hard to believe.
- Yeah. That was tricky for me growing up, until I learned that it's really a wiring of the brain that we have this belief that introverts are shy. Some are, but some aren't. And it really has more to do with needing time to recharge. So I can do things like this. I can really enjoy myself.
But then, my friends and family at home will tell you that means we're not going to see him for two days because he's kind of home, recharging.
- Taking care of yourself.
- I love it.
- Thank you so much for taking the time to be here. And sorry to your friends and family if they wanted to see you in the next few days. But we got him, right? And you can catch The Night Agent. It's out today on Netflix.
This transcript has been automatically generated and may not be 100% accurate.