Transcript for Minnesota Mom writes book in honor of deceased daughter
- Now with the Minnesota mom grieving the loss of her teenage daughter, and she's now channeling that pain into the pages of a story that's resonating with young readers everywhere.
LINDA HAYEN: The Everybody Club is for very young children. The theme of the book is inclusion. It's about just remembering to invite everyone to the party, whatever the party is.
- The story is told in the illustrations. It's more like a chant or a romp. There is a narrator in the book, and she's basically rallying the troops.
- We tried really hard to depict all ages, all sizes, any kind of other different abilities that we could think of that you could see visually.
- I met Linda Hayen at a church. And when she talked to me about The Everybody Club, I just-- I knew right away it was a great idea. I had just had a friend who lost a daughter, and Linda had lost a daughter. And you know, there's kind of a feeling of helplessness. But I just felt like helping Linda make this book was one thing I could do to help.
LINDA HAYEN: Carissa had an amazing spirit about her. Carissa started a club when she was about 10 years old, and she called it the Everybody Club. Her brother Phillip was born with severe disabilities, and he was not included in things as a child growing up. And I think Carissa must have observed that. He really inspired her to create the club.
- I never knew Carissa personally, but it didn't matter that I didn't know her. I felt a connection with her spirit, and that's what this book is, really. It's a way of Carissa giving to the world.
LINDA HAYEN: When I first thought about creating the book, I thought that it would be like holding a piece of her and keeping her spirit alive. As time went on, I realized that she had a message to share. It's been 21 years since she died, but I'm finally able to focus on the fact that she did contribute during her short life. And that feels really, really good.
- Hmm. And The Everybody Club is available now everywhere that books are sold.
This transcript has been automatically generated and may not be 100% accurate.